We had a fantastic time at the Royal Winchester Golf Club yesterday, at our second CAFOD Portsmouth Golf Day! 14 teams of 4 from all over the diocese took part in the event and “battled it out” on the club grounds.
The prizes up from grabs ranged from best teams to “Longest Drive” to “Nearest pin from tee” – and the competition was though! The overall winner in the end was the Soton Cats team, followed by Roger Walters’ team from Basingstoke who came second and Poole Cockleshells from Bournemouth who came third.
Mark Herbich from The Royals team won the “Nearest pin from tee”, Russell Tomlinson from the Shield Group won the Longest Drive (men), Veronica Hargreaves from The Angels won the Longest Drive (women) and last but not least, Pat Murphy from Roger Walters’ team won the “Nearest pin in two”.
An extra “£2 challenge” was provided at Hole 7 – sending the ball on the green in one shot to get back £2 + another £2 – only a handful of players managed it!
The day ended with a special carvery dinner at the club restaurant – which everybody enjoyed after a long day out on the course!
The day raised an amazing overall total of £1873.20 for CAFOD!
And this would have never been possible without…
1) the organising committee: our fab volunteer Roger Lillie who “masterminded” the whole event, and his team of helpers: John Harrington, John Marchesi, Mark Herbich, Simon Grummitt and Pat Feighery
2) all our great helpers on the day: Margaret Lillie for her precious help at registration, Cecily Exworthy for organising the raffle, Simon Grummitt and John Marchesi for marshalling the course
3) Daverio Matteucci from Keats Restaurant, John Marchesi and Roger Lillie for donating prizes
4) all the staff at the club (bar and office staff) who were so helpful throughout the day
5) our Director of Communities Tom O’Connor, who attended the dinner and gave a short talk about Cafod’s work, taking the opportunity to thank everybody for their support
6) and of course all teams who came along and supported the day so generously!
It was a brilliant event – thank you so much everyone!